Thursday, August 26, 2010

Corky's BBQ (Metaire, La)

In the spirit of...

Applebees, Chili's, T.G.I. Friday's, Olive Garden, Macaroni Grill, Denny's, Hard Rock Cafe, Outback Steakhouse, Red Lobster, Steak n Shake, Black Eyed Pea, Hooters, Cracker Barrel, and all other restaurants that encompass the embarrassment of the culinary taste palate of suburban America, we can now add Corky's BBQ to that fine list. This past weekend I attended one of many restaurants that the Corky's BBQ Franchise has to offer. What is it about franchise food that A: Taste so good yet B: Taste so gross at the same time?

Doing what I do, I did it all. I sampled the brisket (horrible), sides (super average), the pulled pork (super average), and the ribs dry (extremely horrible) and wet (surprisingly good). Knowing how franchises deal with their meat, I have a sneaking suspicion that they cook/season the food at corporate headquarters, freeze it, ship it, then defrost it, and finally re-cook it. You know how that franchise food is with that rubbery texture yet dangerously too consistent.

This leads me to the topic of why Middle America is so attracted to the Franchise Restaurant X. I can appreciate the consistency the food provides so that any jack ass in the kitchen can defrost the pre-seasoned/pre-cooked food and put it on the skillet or grill for the allotted minutes. But it lacks so much substance and soul.

Personally, I'd rather eat BBQ from these owners... .








...as opposed to owners/board members like this...












I know image isn't everything...but you can't franchise good BBQ.


Corky's BBQ will be receiving a 2 out of 5 stars

Corky's Bar-B-Q on Urbanspoon

No comments: