Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Conger's Smoke Shack (San Antonio, Tx)

My experiences with San Antonio's BBQ Trail has been short but all so sweet. The Pitmaster at The Smoke Shack said he smokes with Pecan and Oak, and throws an onion in the smoker. I couldn't tell if he was figuratively feeding me a rack of bullshit...(aka: NY style BBQ). It got me thinking that maybe onions in the smoker might work...or maybe he is just playing a cruel joke on me.





Lets Talk Ribs...

These Ribs tasted 95% damn near identical to my ribs. I can even taste the same little secrets that I use in my ribs. These aren't your fall off the bone but instead your perfect PEEL off the bone rib. These ribs are a little more moist than mine but that's because he doesn't peel off the membrane on the bottom before he smokes them. Personally, I don't like eating the silver skin but I don't expect him to peel the membrane off when you are turning over 100 racks a day. Below is a visual...Overall 5 out of 5
Smoke Shack Ribs





Let's talk Brisket. 
This gets a solid B+. Nothing fancy...at the same time, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Smoke Shack Brisket


Lets discuss Pulled Pork. I give the Pulled Pork a solid B- . There was nothing spectacular about this as well. I'm not one to dip my BBQ in sauce like a Baptist eating french fries with ketchup at McDonalds, but their Dijon/Vinagar sauce was out of this world. That right there made the Pulled Pork worth every bite and if I was judging the taste of meat on the sauce it would get a solid A+. If they bottled it I'd drink a cup of that for breakfast.



I'm a big fan of food trucks and that is what you'll get with Smoke Shack. Between this place and The Big Bib, San Antonio is in good hands.



The Smoke Shack will be receiving a generous score of 4 out of 5 stars.

Conger's Smoke Shack (Food Truck) on Urbanspoon

No comments: