Saturday, December 18, 2010

Fat Boys BBQ (Picayune, Ms)

I just read several positive reviews online of 'Fat Boys BBQ'...needless to say I am shocked as another underwhelmed blog hits the press. Luckily the south has at least one southerner that is not afraid of being honest and calling a spade a spade without putting a fake smile on. Here I go...

What is the deal with with cumin on BBQ? While I enjoy cumin as much as the next person, I am not a fan of cumin in a BBQ rub. What's interesting is that I find that the people that use cumin in their rub, always have a heavy hand in it. That was Strike 1.

I'm not blind, I saw the smoker in the back, why is the smoke flavor so light? I assumed they were being cheap on the Hickory. Strike 2

The Baked Potato Salad was a Ranch Dressing nightmare. People that eat/use ranch dressing are almost as bad as people that eat ketchup on meat. Strike 3 on the Ranch Dressing.

While the ribs and brisket were tender, it was a little over salted, over cumin(ed), and dry. However, the sweet tea was perfect and the collard greens were highlighted with pieces of brisket in them. I also liked the aesthetics of the place; a little red cinder-block shack off the side of the road with a gravel driveway. I also managed to get all this food and a drink under $10.

Small town living limits your options of dining out, so the residents of Picayune are limited to Fat Boys BBQ unless they go on a road trip. It's not great but it's cheap.



Fat Boys BBQ will be receiving 2.5 out of 5 stars.

Fat Boys BBQ on Urbanspoon

No comments: