Saturday, October 8, 2011

The Brick Pit (Mobile, Al)


Once upon a time I watched this video...



It looked good...looked real good.

So one magical afternoon I happened to be in Alabama and decided to pull into this little shindig. Let me start by saying that this was some of the best pulled pork I've put into my mouth. It was moist, there was no fat, great texture,...but...NO FLAVOR. Bill Armbrecht (Pitmaster) even said in the featured video that they add no seasoning...and let me tell you what...it tasted like it too. I talked to him for a minute while I was there, it took a moment before he started warming up, but when he did, he was a real nice guy.

I find it amazing that he can smoke a pork butt for 24-30 hours and it come out that perfect. The Ribs were also amazing...but again, lacked flavor. I assume they rely on their bbq sauce for flavor. Not a smart move if you're serving Texan James Westfall. The sides were boring but I've come to expect that now a days.

I feel like if Sir Bill Armbrecht would only find a good seasoning to apply to the meat, he would have one hell of an establishment. He's got everything else perfected (except for the sides). But I tell you what...flavor is kind of a big thing when you judge food. Just sayin...

The Brick Pit will be receiving a 4 out of 5 stars.



Brick Pit on Urbanspoon

No comments: