Thursday, February 10, 2011

Barbecue: A Texas Love Story (DVD Review)


My previous BBQ Blog entry was our inaugural book review by Dr. BBQ. I'm pleased to announce that this current blog entry will be our inaugural DVD review.

When I told my friends that I watched a BBQ documentary they all laughed. What they fail to realize is that there is a history, diversity, lineage, and culture behind the broad subject of BBQ. A BBQ documentary sounds just as absurd to any jazz musician as a jazz documentary is to a BBQ enthusiast. What my jazz musician friends also fail to realize is that more people like BBQ than Jazz music (I know that sounds sad but true).

This 45 minute DVD is narrated by no other than former Governor Ann Richards. The DVD takes us from Houston to Dallas to the BBQ belt of Central Texas. The highlights of this documentary are the interviews with Kinky Friedman, the UT BBQ students, and seeing some black owned BBQ establishments getting some press; I often find that Black owned BBQ establishments are often overlooked by a majority BBQ publications in Texas. The only downside to this documentary is how dramatic they try to make it at the end. I recommend this to DVD to every Texan or BBQ enthusiast.

Overall this documentary was inspiring and makes me proud to be from Texas.

Barbecue: A Texas Love Story will be receiving a 5 out of 5 stars.


Here is the trailer below.

No comments: